learn what your recruiter forgot to tell you
Monday, November 24, 2008
Joining the military
Joining the military is an exciting for some scary for others, Many people find that taking that leap of faith to be rewarding and others find that it was the worst mistake of their entire life.
Some reasons people love it
1 ) Freedom- Yes believe it or for many going off into the military is the biggest taste of freedom that they have ever had. Mommy and Daddy are no longer around to coddle and baby sit them, and they are now able to make choices and decision on their own. They have their own money, own homes, apts, dorms etc.
2) College - All the branches of the military offer 100% Tuition assistance, but before you get all excited you need to make sure you will be able to use it. What do I mean by that you ask??? well it's one thing to have the money to use for school, but if you don't have the time to go to school then what good is having the money. Kind of hard to go to college when your face down in a sandbox. Some branches offer college credits for standard military training, such as the Air Force community college. Look at all your options
3) opposite sex- Yeah I said it so what!!!!!! Its true!!! guys and girls often join with the hopes of meeting the opposit sex and having fun, and boy can it be fun. going away to technical training after boot camp is alot (well maybe not alot) like going to college, you got a bunch of young guys and young girls all together after weeks of grueling bootcamp. thats a recipe for some unwinding if you know what I mean. I have lots of personal memories and have hundreds of stories from others who enjoy this special benefit.
4) Money- Now your not gonna earn six figures but for many you will make more money than you have ever made in your life, and as time goes by you will make more money than your parents ever made. You have a reliable check coming in on the first and the 15th, no medical bill worries, no dental bill worries. If you are smart and you invest you can live a very comfortable possibly even well to do life.
some reasons why people don't join the military
1) Freedom- I have heard this one countless times, "I don't want to be a slave and have to take orders" I understand why you may say this, but let me tell you one thing. while I will not defend nor attack a comment like that, I will say that the same people who make comments like that are working for someone and taking orders on a daily basis. Before joining the Air Force my brother said he would never join because he likes his freedom, and that I would not have any. Well for the last 11 years I have had more freedom than he has ever had. I work 8 hrs a day some times more but usually less, he works 10+. I have 30 days of vacation he has 2 weeks and its not paid. I have all holidays off he has christmas that's it. If I need to take care of a famliy appt or a personal appt, I do it. He has to take off work and lose pay. He is miserable and stuck. I am happy and free to leave if I want to.
2) Not in shape- believe it or not that is a reason. people are scared of the fitness program the military upholds. Hey if you don't want to stay in shape and remain healthy that's up to you. I for one think the physical fitness program is weak and should be more stringent.
3) Don't want to get yelled at- there is a belief that we get yelled at every day. Im not sure how it is in the marines or army but I'm pretty sure that they don't yell at each other. I know they don't in the Air Force. If that were the case I'd have a pretty sore throat. No actually we talk to one another like normal human beings (that we are). Believe it or not we actually smile from time to time and tell a joke or two.... lol
4) don't want to leave home- Yes its sad but some just can't remove them selve from the umbillical cord. Yes you will most likely have to move away from your home town. Your gonna have to kiss mommy and daddy good bye and actually get a life. Okay just being a little overly harsh for no good reason other than just to do it. There are many valid reasons for not wanting to leave home but if that's the case then yes military life is not for you.
Bottom line, weigh your options, make an informed decision. And if you don't like it then just go AWOL after a few days of boot camp!!!!!!!
(this is not meant to be taken as advice, if you are dumb enough to go AWOL, I am not liable for what repercussions you receive)
at 8:40 PM